Sunday, May 29, 2011

Plumbing Part II

Ok, so I spoke too soon. As you may have read in my previous post "Duff Plumbing in Norristown..." I thought I had fixed the slow leak problem that the toilette was exhibiting. Every 5 minutes or so, the toilette would start to refill for abut 10 seconds, then stop. This "slow leak" was diagnosed by Duff's Plumbing, and suggested resolution was to swap out the flapper.

The flapper fixed the problem for a short while, but ultimately the slow leak resurfaced. I went back to Duff's to readdress. The guy at the counter suggested that it may not be a flapper problem at all. Instead, he suggested that the problem might be a siphoning issue. Pretty cool, right? Well this time, he was spot on.

If you notice in the picture below, there is a black tube that extends from the flushmaster down into the white overflow pipe?




This tube cannot be too long. If it extends too far down the overflow pipe (white pipe pictured), then siphoning can occur.





I used a household scissors and clipped the tube and now finally the problem is officially corrected.

YouTube Video


No comments:

Post a Comment