Tuesday, January 31, 2012

25,000 Pics in iPhoto with Thousands of Duplicates

About 3 years ago my hard drive crashed.  On top of that, my backup software was partially working, so I had to piece together a lot of files and folders.  I sent my hard drive into a repair company that charged about $1,000 to extract the data.  Fortunately, they pulled out most of the files.  Unfortunately, a lot of the files were duplicates and even worse, the files were renamed to unrecognizable numbers, i.e. 111.pdf, 112.pdf, 113.pdf, etc.  As you can imagine, it took hours and days to get everything re-organized.  I dumped all of my photos into my iPhoto library.  While I was psyched to have not lost my pictures, I soon realized that my iPhoto library had mushroomed to over 25,000 pictures.  I finally got around to calling AppleCare tech support and they said that they do not have any remedies for this, however they did say that some people have used Duplicate Annihilator with some degree of success.  I downloaded the software and paid the $7.95.  Turns out this was a great investment.  I was able to extract about 8,000 duplicates from my library.  Even more exciting was that I was able to regain over 8 gigs of hard drive space!!  Great job to Brattoo Propaganda Software.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment