Tuesday, August 30, 2011

NEXT DIY: Undermount Microwave

After about three years of use, the GE (piece of crap) Spacemaker XL1800 started falling apart. First the door handle ripped off, then the door itself started cracking apart. I called GE to find out the replacement part costs and decided to hold off and just replace the entire unit. Forward two years and three mighty putty applications later...


I decided to run over to the "new" Sears warehouse in East Norriton to see if they had any good deals, but their supply of black undermount microwaves were limited and upwards of $350. Plan B: I re-activated my Consumer Reports account online for a one month subscription of $5.95 and found the number one microwave in its class: SMH9187B. I searched around and I found it online for $279. One appliance store was charging $99 for shipping. Then I found one at Lowes on Columbus Blvd, but they only had one in stock and it was the floor model. I talked my wife into driving down with me to check it out. Turns out it was in great condition, and the agent who helped me took $70 off for the floor model!!

During the drive home I memorized the instructions manual. The total swap took about 45 minutes, but mostly because the old and new microwave were indentical in size so we were able to use the existing wall mount bracket. Huge time saver.

STEP 1:

Remove power from old microwave.

STEP 2:

Detach the duct tape from the vent.

STEP 3:

Place support underneath the microwave so that it wont fall when removing the securing bolts from the top. In this case, I stacked some coolers and a book.



STEP 6:

Remove the three bolts from the top.



STEP 7:

Tilt the face of the unit down, then lift off of the wall mount support lip.



STEP 8:

Replace the new microwave... Having two people definitely helps make it easier.



STEP 9:

Make sure the duct is retaped securely, then plug in, power up and test!

No comments:

Post a Comment