Sunday, August 21, 2011

Dimmer Switch: Check

After years of thinking about doing some type of minor home electrical project and never having the nerve to try something for fear of burning the house down, I finally bit the bullet with a dimmer light switch and it worked on the first try!

STEP ONE:

Turn off the power at the electrical panel for the specific area.

STEP TWO:

Remove the face plate.


























STEP THREE:

Remove the screw securing the existing switches to the outlet box, the pull them out so that you can see the wires and screw caps with clarity.


























STEP FOUR:

For a novice like me, using an electric tester could be the difference between success and singeing the hair off of your arms.


























STEP FIVE:

Read the instructions on the dimmer packet carefully. I learned from the instructions that we have a single pole dimmer and not a 3 way. You can also find good instructions Here.

STEP SIX:

While removing the wires from the existing switch, I noticed that one of the black shielded wires had been exposed for a connection that was no longer needed so I wrapped the exposed area with electrical tape.


























STEP SEVEN:

Test by turning the switch at the panel ON.

STEP EIGHT:

Replace all of the parts, and if your not a rookie (like me), you will make sure that the dimmer slides down for off and up for high. I might fix that later if if bothers me, but for now, everything works and there is no strange burning smell so I'm psyched. That was pretty easy!

































No comments:

Post a Comment